Fast food with beer and lemonade
In the summer months according to the needs of tourists
The center of Cheb, a town with history reaching back to the middle-ages, is preserved as a historical monument. The Cheb castle – an exclusive example of Falc in our country with a unique twin chapel, built at the end of 12th century by rebuilding an older stone castle at the place of a former Slavic settlement. The Roman emperor Friedrich I. Barbarossa started building it in 1179. Under the reign of Friedricha II at the beginning of the 13th century the unique twin chapel was built. Nowadays three preserved roman buildings are visitable: The Black Tower built of puff-stone, the twin castle chapel of St Erhard and Urshula and the remains of the palace with unique five-part roman windows. In the rooms inside the fortification you can see an archeological exhibition on the early history of the town. The exhibition of stove building shows impressive work of Willi Russ from 1941 to 1944.
More details here.
Špalíček is the symbol of the Cheb's square. Made of a bizarre complex of 11 houses, it is divided by Kramarska street. It was developing since the 13th Century at the place where there were originally shop keeping booths and butchers´ shops. According to the oldest depiction from 1472, the ground plan of these 2 blocks has remained basically the same up to this day. The third row of houses, originally placed on the western side of the square, was taken down.
The project aim is architectural linking the pedestrian zone with urban monument reserve. Creation of artwork in form of demogram (drainage channel cover bearing selected data from the town history) passing through the whole base line of the area including creation a sculpture in the upper part of the square belongs to the revitalization.
The pedestrian zone in the town centre is situated in Svobody Street going from the King George Square - Náměstí Krále Jiřího and ending in front of the railway station. The pedestrian zone reconstruction includes the area from the square to Evropská Street and comprises related parts of Šlikova, Obrněné Brigády, Komenského and Májová streets as well.
This rare place called "Krajinka" serves for residents and visitors for relax and body revitalizing. Whole area started from pound lock of “Skalka”, continue along the river “Ohře” down to Cheb´s castle and up to house “Sova”. There is rich flowers exposition, a lot of trees and grass plots in whole area. There are arranging cultural and theatre performances during summer months too. This place is appropriate for families with children, because there are all kind of facilities for children. There are a lot of benches for everyday relax.
View in map here.
One of the cleanest dams in the Czech Republic, Jesenice nearby Cheb invites you to come camping, swimming, windsurfing and fishing. It is an ideal place for swimmers, surfers, divers and yachtsmen. Kids have fun here, too, riding on the water slide or in their children corner. The dam is also a stop on the routes of palmipeds. Purest water for swimming in whole dam find in link label Hotel & autocamp Rybářská Bašta.
Františkovy Lázně is the smallest spa town of the famous west-bohemian spa triangle. As well as Karlovy Vary and Mariánské Lázně it is very rich in natural mineral springs. The spa was established in 1793 and until now it has been keeping its spa atmosphere with historical architecture and picturesque parks. Register of cultural relics find here.
Aquaforum Františkovy Lázně
Since the summer of 2005 a new Aquaforum, a roofed aquapark with outdoor pools, has been opened.
1500 m2 expanse of water
4 indoor and 3 outdoor pools with water attractions
toboggan and water slides
in- and outdoor snack-bar
and some places for relaxing
09.00 - 21.00
Price list (1 person):
2 hours 120Kč
4 hours 200Kč
Golf Resort Františkovy Lázně
Welcome in the youngest and the prettiest golf course in the Czech Republic. This sportingly exacting 18-hole golf course is situated in Hazlov by Františkovy Lázně - closely behind the German borders. It was opened in the year 2002 in the charming countryside of the natural protected area river basin Odra. Golf paths, were harmonically included into the countryside. Naturally all 18 golf-paths conformes to the international standards.
More information here.
Komorní Hůrka u Františkových Lázní
Komorní Hůrka is our youngest volcano, active 850.000 years ago. Some experts claim that it was active even only 350 00 years ago. In spite of its fame the volcano is not a distinctive one. It is a partly forested small hill between Cheb and Františkovy Lázně. The obvious cratered formation we can find there is, however, not the original crater itself but an old quarry. The famous poet J.W. Goethe was interested in Komorní Hůrka, which is almost a holy place for the history of geology. Goethe´s fans worsip this place as well and you can find the poet´s memorial plaque picturing the relievo of his head placed in the rock.
More details here.
Seeberg Castle (Ostroh)
Seeberg castle was built at the end of the 12th century and served as a military fortress. The first preserved written record about it comes from 1322 and informs that Ludwig of Bavaria mortgaged the castle and the entire Cheb region to Jan of Luxembourg in return for a pledge of assistance in his aspiration for the imperial throne. The pledge remained unfulfilled and the castle fell under the property of the Czech Crown. Another document from 1349 written by Karel IV. confirms the belonging of Seeberg to Czech crown. In 1434 Kašpar Šlik, a rich townsman from Cheb, became its owner. Kašpar Juncker became its owner in 1461 after buying it from the Šlik family. There was a number of other owners later and the castle was then for long years under the custody of the town of Cheb. The castle is open for visitors since the middle of March to middle of November. The collections currently exhibited represent the interior and furniture of 19th century and ethnography.
More details about the castle find here.
Natural Reserve SOOS
Situated 6 km northeast of Františkovy Lázně, the reserve was established in 1964, taking the area of total 221 ha. Only a part of it is visitable. You will find there a 1,2 km long educational trail on a strake. The reserve itself is a large moorland and peat-bogs, with a large number of mineral sprnigs and the so called „mofetas“, mud volcanos releasing clean carbon dioxide. The trail leads on the bottom of a dry lake which used to have salty mineral water. Nowadays we can find there a European rarity, the so-called „kieselguhr shield“, kieselguhr piled from the shells of lake weed growing on its bottom. It is a „moon landscape“ ridged by erosion and covered with a yellow and white layer of mineral salt. Many preserved animals live in the reserve and many wetland and saltland plants grow there. The area of the reserve offers the 1,2km educational trail, geopark, museum with exhibition "Nature in Chebsko" and "Nature of SOOS" and a new pavilion with exhibition "History of Earth". Paleontological exhibition shows large photomurals of Zdeněk Burian paintings and life-size models of pre-historic lizards.
Details about N.T. SOOS here.
Butterfly farm Žirovice
The ground floor houses a large collection of exotic butterflies as well as butterflies from our countries. In the greenhouse on the first floor with tropical climate the visitors walk among butterflies flying freely.
More info and location here.
Pilgrimage church Mario Loreta - Starý Hroznatov
The westernmost loreta in Bohemia is found in Starý Hrozňatov nearby the town of Cheb. Built by the jezuits from Cheb in 1664-1689, it was wasted after the German inhabitants were forced to leave in 1945. The renewal of the loreta in Starý Hrozňatov, which took place after the political changes in 1989, was organised by the society Loreto-Verein from Waldsassen, which was also the main kind sponsor. The head of the society and the main organiser of the renewal was Ing. Anton Hart, a native from the neighbouring village of Nový Hrozňatov. Nowadays it is again the meetpoint of Catholics from the Czech republic and Germany and a popular tourist attraction for visitors from all Europe.
More details and location here.
The world famous spa town is situated in a valley of the river Teplá. Its main riches is especially the hot springs, Vřídlo with its temperature of 73°C being the most famous one. The town was established in the 14th century and was named after Karel IV., Czech king and Roman emperor, who, as the legend puts it, came with the idea of establishing it. Every year, the most important international film festival of central and eastern Europe takes place there.
Registry of Monuments and Significant Sights in the city find here.
Mariánské Lázně is the second largest Czech spa, which is very rich in mineral springs. There are forty springs within the area and one hundred in the immediate vicinity. The land consisting of today's spa belonged to the Premonstrate Monastery of Teplá, whose abbot K. K. Reitenberger launched the construction of the original baths early in the 19th century, as envisioned by the monastery doctor J. J Nehr. According to the grandiose designs of the architect V. Skalník, terrain transformations were carried out, and parks were created. Today these, together with the numerous springs, represent the essential features of the town. In 1866, Mariánské Lázně was declared a city and by the beginning of the 20th century ranked among the most important spa centers in Europe.
The pseudo-Baroque cast-iron Colonnade from 1889 is the main promenade of the spa and an important architectural monument. The water from the Cross, Caroline's and Rudolph's Springs is piped to the Colonnade for the drinking cures. The Singing Fountain, located in front of the Colonnade, also captures the attention of visitors. The Ferdinand's, Forest and Ambrose's Springs are among the best known springs in Mariánské Lázně.
Registry of Monuments and Significant Sights in the city find here.
The opening of Marianske Lazne golf course was conducted by His Majesty King Edward VII on August 21st, 1905. He solemnly cut the inaugural ribbon, opening the new golf course after which he signed his name in the memorial book of the course with a gold pen to become the first foundation member of the Marianske Lazne Golf Club. The golf club at Marianske Lazne is the only golf course in Central Europe with such a distinguished past.
More details about the golf club here.
The castle is standing on a place of a former fort from 16th century. Since 1623 the Kynžvart manor was owned by the Metternich family. The baroque castle was built by earl Philipp Emmerich between 1681and 1691. Between 1820 and 1833 the castle was remodelled in the Viennese Classical Style. The Mettrnich family owned the castle until 1945. Since then, the castle has been a state-owned property. Inside the castle you can see a large number of very interesting historical exhibits. Besides four altarpieces in the late-gothic style there is a library, which belongs among the most important aristocratic libraries in the Czech republic. Bulk of the exhibits is linked with Klement Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar the second prince von Metternich - Winneburg. The visitors can see the inside of the castle on a guided tour, including Metternich´s office, the library, billiard hall, castle saloons, mummies etc. The castle is a unique example of a country representative residence built in the French Imperial and Viennese Classical Styles (architect Pietro Nobile).
Official web site here.
Loket castle is the most distinctive landmark of the town of Loket, history of which reaches back into the middle ages. The town got its name after its position in the meander of river Ohře, which served as its natural fortification in the middle ages. The town with its castle, the river and the surrounding forests give one of the most picturesque views in the Czech republic. Loket castle was established in the 12th century and its history is full of stories about attempts to scale it. Later, the castle was also used as a prison. Undergoing a thorough recent reconstruction, it is now open for its visitors. Inside the castle there is also a museum.
The town of Bublava is situated on the border, in the middle of the westernmost foreland of the Ore mountains, in the altitude of 750 to 935 metres above the sea level. It has been a popular and often visited skiing centre since the beginning of the previous century, especially for its location, enough snow, beautiful landscape and also the improvements in skiing and tourist services. The skiing centre SKI-BUBLAVA was thoroughly reconstructed in the past three years and is now one of the leading ski centres of the Czech republic. Besides a wide variety of ski, gourmet and other services, the main goal is to offer the guests a nice background for their sport activities and leisure time.
Vildštejn castle in Skalná
Vildštejn castle is situated on a granite rock above the inflow of Vonšovický creek. Standing on the rock in a picturesque valley of the small town of Skalná, Vildštejn castle was built in the 12th century by the Nothaft family. Inside the ground floor you can see the very interesting cross vault. The oldest part of the castle is preserved, too. It is a roman style chapel with a staircase carved in the stone. Since 2000 Vildštejn has been a private property and is undergoing a thorough reconstruction. Stylish restaurnt, knight banquets, historical programme.
More information about exposition and location find here.
Natural Reserve Kladská
National natural reserve peat-bogs Kladské rašeliny has been state-protected since 1933 and consists of three large forest peat-bogs: Tajga, Paterák and Lysina. You can walk through the reserve taking the educational nature trail around the pond Tajga, learning about rare flora and fauna.
More details find here.
Chlum Svaté Maří monastery
Pilgrimage place is known since 14th century. A complex of a former monastery with church of st. Maří Magdalena built after the plans of K. Dienzenhofer and other architects is one of the most important baroque monuments in the Czech Republic.
More details about monastery and location find here.
Registry most of culture and social events to take place at Karlovy Vary region find here.
West Bohemian Theater in Cheb
The Západočeské divadlo v Chebu (West Bohemian Theatre, Cheb) is the only professional theatre in the Karlovy Vary (Karslbad) region. As such, it plays an important role in the cultural life not only of the city of Cheb, but the whole autonomous region. It covers all social groups of spectators, from children to seniors. It is mainly financed by the municipality of Cheb, smaller part is given by the Karlovy Vary region and the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic. The theatre employs 17 actors nowadays.
Since January 2006, the new creative team (stage director Zdeněk Bartoš, dramaturgist Marta Ljubková) focuses on new dramatic texts, both Czech and the best foreign plays, or a modern interpretation of classical texts, regarding not only the interest of a large public, but also that of the demanding and sensible audience (Caryl Churchill’s Top Girls is the first opening of the season 2007 / 2008). The theatre disposes of two halls: the big one (240 seats) in the main building and the studio (60 seats) which allows more experimental or minority forms.
More information about theater and its program here.
3D Kino Svět v Chebu
This is one of the most advanced cinema in DCI(Digital Cinema Initiatives) standard in sound, technically and lighting. The cinema is equipped sound with Dolby Digital EX and pure 3D technology in high-definition too.
More detailed info find here.
Production center KAMENNÁ
Production center Kamenná belongs to the West Bohemian theater in Cheb. P. c. Kamenná is located in a former Dominican convent in the historic center of Cheb. Held there concerts, social events, festivals, educational programs for youth, lectures, seminars, language classes and dance classes and the cinema.
The FIJO CHEB festival is a non - competitive show of youth wind orchestras with accompanying programme of dance groups. Since its founding it has become a festival people search for in the most western part of the Czech Republic. Since 1970 the town of Cheb becomes, biannually, the place of meeting young music bands. The orchestras of young musicians present their music maturity in their public concerts. The reward for their performances is the welcoming applause from the spectators and listeners.
The programme of this show festival contains, beside its perpetual rules, features which change in order to bring into the well - established tradition animation – concerts of big bands, concerts of temple music in the St. Nicolas´ Church, big disco party for the participants.
To the traditional features of the festival belong Friday´s ceremonial lining up of all the participants, where every orchestra introduces itself by playing the national anthem of its country, and ceremonial defile in front of the main platform in the square. Saturday´s march through the town, when all the participants take place in, end again in the squre where the orchestras with their majorettes perform short march show. This event became a very popular show for the visitors of the festival. The point of culmination of the festival was the Music show of orchestras and the groups of majorettes and the closing ceremony with fireworks at the sports stadium in the evening.
The festival has become very popular not only with the citizens of Cheb, but is often visited by Czech and foreign visitors.
The festival runs from Friday to Sunday. The participants arrive already on Thursday.
Official web site here.
Valdštejn´s celebrations in Cheb
Fifth year of historical celebrations with Albrecht z Valdštejna coming to the city. Two-day event for tribute of Albrecht z Valdštejna that was murdered in Cheb, includes ceremonious parade through the city, market, concert, firework and more attraction.